Book Review: Weaveworld by Clive Barker

You know when you haven’t read a favourite author in a while, and you kinda forget how amazing they are? And then you read 10 pages of a book and very quickly you’re reminded why you fangirl over said author - that was my experience with Weaveworld!

“That which is imagined can never be lost.”
The Fugue is a magical land inhabited by descendants of supernatural beings who once shared the earth with humans, but it has been woven into a carpet for protection against those who would destroy it. The death of its guardian leads to a battle between good and evil for control of the Fugue.

This was my first foray into one of Barker’s epic-length fantasy books, as so far I’ve mostly stuck to his horror. But it turns out Barker really can do it all, as he beautifully weaves (pun intended) together dark fantasy and horror. This would be a fab Barker recommendation for fantasy fans!

Weaveworld encompasses a magnificent cast of heroes and villains. Immacolata has now became one of my favourite villains - any time she appeared on the page, I was OBSESSED. This badass bitch is eerily followed around by her ghostly sisters, Magdalene and the Hag, who she strangled in the womb before birth. How mental is that!

I loved that it was mostly set in one of my favourite cities, Liverpool, and I absolutely adored the commentary on imagination and how magical it truly can be. My only minor qualm would be that sometimes the pace would slow down a little and I was just waiting for it pick back up again!

Weaveworld is bizarre, intense, imaginative, magical and messed-up. But I would expect nothing less from Clive Barker. 4 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker