Book Review: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

How does one even begin to review the conclusion to what I believe is one of the greatest series of all time? I simply cannot put into words what this series means to me and how much of an emotional rollercoaster this final book is. It’s also really freakin’ hard to review any book in a series!

“It'll be your damnation, boy. You'll wear out a hundred pairs of boots on your way to hell.”
If you’re in any way invested in this series, the last book is pretty much 800+ pages of saying goodbye, which is incredibly heartbreaking. And King makes a decision in this book which I will honestly never forgive him for. If you’ve read the series, you’ll know. I’m talking in code here, of course, but I just feel it was totally unnecessary. I’m already crushed, why you gotta pummel my heart even more?!!

There are so many parts I love in here that I want to fangirl over, but I’m trying to remain as spoiler-free as possible. However, there are also some anti-climactic moments too. And I got a little impatient reading a particular character’s backstory early on in the novel. I feel a little disappointed with those parts, but I still thoroughly love this book.

In terms of the ending itself - whether you love it or hate it, I can’t think of a more perfect ending for this series. And for the record I am firmly in the love camp! Even though it depresses the heck outta me.

I’m so glad I made another trip to the Dark Tower in 2019. I’ve loved every single page and am already looking forward to my next reread. This little ka-tet feels like family and Mid-World feels like home.

Say thank ya. 5 stars.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live."

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker