Book Review: Bone White by Ronald Malfi

Ronald Malfi continues to impress me with this slow-burn chilling horror set in the isolated and eerie town of Dread‘s Hand, Alaska. Following the discovery of bodies up in the surrounding White Mountains, Paul Gallo goes looking for his brother, Danny, who was last seen in the area.

“If there are ghosts here - and some say there are - then they are most clearly glimpsed in the faces of the living.”
Nothing is quite as unsettling as an isolated town, where the few inhabitants just seem a little closed-off and wary of strangers. Malfi does a wonderful job of creating a bleak and haunting atmosphere. There’s just SOMETHING about books set in a freezing cold environment, isn’t there?!

I also appreciate how subtle Malfi is with his horror. It’s understated and subtle, but definitely has the creep factor. One scene in particular will stick with me as it had every hair on the back of my neck standing up while I was reading it.

I’m a huge fan of Malfi’s writing, it’s well-crafted and readable with just the right amount of description. I love reading books where I can visualise the story with little effort on my part, it makes flying through it a breeze. His characters are also very well-drawn out, Detective Jill Ryerson was a highlight for me - love a strong, intelligent woman!

Malfi keeps you guessing until the end with regards to the mysteries and lore within this novel. That growing sense of dread drips from the very first page until the final one. I would most certainly recommend! 4 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker