Book Review: Full Throttle by Joe Hill

Well, this is the first time that a Joe Hill book has disappointed me. It’s a real shame, because I used to shout from the rooftops that I have basically loved every Hill I’ve read so far - but now there is a black mark on his record...

”A child has only two parents, but if you’re lucky enough to get to be an artist for a living, ultimately you wind up with a few mothers and fathers.”
Okay, let’s dial it back, perhaps I’m being a tad dramatic... it’s not terrible! There are a total of 13 stories in here, and a few are really good. But there is quite a lot of forgettable fluff. I can’t put my finger on what it is exactly, but I sometimes felt like the themes and topics included in this collection just bored me at times. It also bothers me that 4 of the stories that had been previously released, you can’t help but feel a tad short changed when you already have these ones.

In the introduction he talks about his relationship with his father and how if you are an artist you will ultimately be inspired by lots of different people through working with them and reading their work etc - which kind of lays the foundation for this collection. There are two stories he has written with King, both of which I had previously read. And then a number of stories where the inspiration source is clearly from other artists or authors.

Dark Carousel for example - strong Ray Bradbury vibes! The name alone just makes me think of Something Wicked This Way Comes. Unsurprisingly this was one of my favourites in the collection! Another favourite was In The Tall Grass, a really dark and disturbing tale where a pregnant woman and her brother hear a child shouting for help from the side of the road.

Twittering in the Circus of the Dead was another one that stood out, an entire story told through tweets! You are Released, previously included in the short story collection Fright or Flight, had the potential to be good, but fell short for me. The rest... probably quite forgettable.

In summary, it’s worth picking up for In the Tall Grass, if you haven’t read it yet! Otherwise... don’t rush yourself. 3 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker