Book Review: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

In Guy Montag’s world, fireman start fires rather than put them out. His job is to destroy the most illegal of commodities, the printed book.

“It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away.”
Can I preface this review with a PSA - if you have read Fahrenheit 451 and you hated it... please try another Bradbury book! This one was so different to the other Bradburys that I have read and loved, in terms of tone, writing, warmth, themes... Everything! Pick up one of the Green Town books (Something Wicked This Way Comes or Dandelion Wine) or The October Country.

Whilst this may not be a new favourite by Bradbury, I did really appreciate the message behind this story. Anything that highlights the importance of books and reading is going to score a few brownie points! I found Bradbury’s dystopian world incredibly interesting and terrifying, and really loved the part where the creation of this current world was explained.

It was scary how relevant it is to today’s world. The similarities between a book written in 1953 and current day hits a little close to home. We are overwhelmed and overstimulated with tv and the media, but luckily there are still plenty of us who read.

Although Bradbury’s writing remains as quotable and descriptive as ever, there was a certain coldness to this book. I didn’t care much for any of the characters. That was probably my main criticism - I just felt very detached from it all. All the Bradbury that I’ve read so far has made me feel all warm and cosy inside, so Fahrenheit 451 feels a little jarring in comparison.

I wanted to understand why so many people absolutely adore this book and hold it in such high regard as one of their all-time favourites, so I read a few gushing reviews on goodreads... and I honestly just feel a little sad that I couldn’t connect with it in the same way that others have. But that’s reading for you!

Overall, glad I finally read it. Some parts were fantastic, but it felt a little dull at times. 3.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker