Book Review: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I wouldn’t say I am an outdoorsy gal, but this book made me want to run off and live in a marsh and be at one with nature. That alone is an extraordinary achievement!

“Autumn leaves don't fall, they fly. They take their time and wander on this, their only chance to soar.”
Set in North Carolina, Where the Crawdads Sing follows the life of Kya, a young girl who grows up isolated in a marsh. When handsome town resident Chase Andrews shows up dead, rumours circulate that it was Kya who was behind the murder.

During my research, I discovered that Delia Owens has a PhD in Animal Behaviour and has co-written a number of nature books. So imagine my surprise that Owens writes fiction so beautifully. Often academic writers can be a little dry (such as myself), but Owens’ prose was breathtaking.

I simply adored that Owens incorporated her own knowledge about nature and animals into the story, but in a way that suited the narrative instead of a case of info-dumping for the sake of it. It worked so perfectly in tune with Kya’s life and her backdrop.

It took until around the 100 page mark before I became very emotionally invested, and then it was like a lightbulb switching on. I was ALL. IN. The relationship between Kya and Tate was so sweet. Some of their scenes together are etched into my brain forever.

The story alternates between two timelines: Kya growing up and current day. Both are equally mesmerising as you try and work out where the narrative is going. Which is, of course, executed perfectly. As is everything else in this novel.

A beautiful story looking at themes of isolation, resilience, love and acceptance. One of my very favourites of the year so far! 5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

  1. In last few years the world of Contemporary Design has undergone some massive changes, people are more passionate about what materials they use

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker