Book Review: The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary

This book is the literary equivalent of wrapping yourself up in a big blanket with a cup of coffee on a rainy day. I’m almost certain hearts started appearing around my face like the emoji when I was reading it.

“Remind myself that there is no saving of people - people can only save themselves. The best you can do is help when they're ready.”
Tiff and Leon are strangers who embark on a unique kind of flat share. Tiff gets the apartment (and the bed) overnight whereas Leon gets it during the day as he works night shift. Since they don’t get to see each other, they initially communicate through post-its and notes left around the apartment, as they each deal with their personal problems, including a messy break-up and a brother in jail.

Pre-bookstagram in my teenage years and early 20s, these were the kinds of books I’d read all the time. But now that I’ve found the genres I love, it’s rare that I would read a romance - it just doesn’t do it for me anymore. However The Flatshare had such rave reviews - even from those who don’t normally read romance - that I felt like it was worth checking out as a means to read something a little lighter! And I have ZERO regrets.

The most crucial aspect of such a romance is that both characters should be likeable. And I LOVED both Tiff and Leon. Tiff was quirky and really funny, but not quirky in an annoying over-the-top way. Leon was a little more reserved, a man of few words, but equally likeable. I also thoroughly enjoyed the many forms of communication within this book - notes, text messages, online messenger. They just make a modern book feel even more realistic.

That’s not to say that this book is all light and fluffy, some heavy themes are tackled in here, such as gaslighting and manipulative relationships. But it doesn’t get too dark or depressing, there’s always a little joke or cute moment to lift the tone!

I’d definitely recommend this if you’re looking for something light to read out in the garden during these Spring days! It was just the CUTEST! 4 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker