Book Review: The Only Living Witness by Stephen G Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth

The Stranger Beside Me remains my favourite Bundy book, but for those whose Bundy itch can never be scratched, The Only Living Witness is well-worth your time!

“We are your sons and we are your husbands and we grew up in similar families.”
Quite a significant part of it is in Bundy’s own words, as the authors recorded their interviews with Bundy and included these conversations in the book. It’s obviously incredibly interesting to hear details directly from the man himself, but at times his thoughts can become meandering to the point where they’re almost non-sensical. It’s also irritating as he talks about the killer in third person, since for most of the book he is denying his involvement in any of the murders.

Otherwise the detail is GREAT. Events are relayed chronologically for the most part, and I really enjoyed learning exactly what Bundy got up to during his two escapes from prison. His journey through the mountains near Aspen, Colorado, for example. Fascinating stuff!

One thing that was a little strange - I was taken aback when I learnt that the authors were involved in arranging Ted’s marriage to Carole Boone. Like wtf. If I’ve interpreted it correctly, they both paid for the wedding rings... from TIFFANY, no less. This just blew my mind!

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend to all true crime fans! It’s well-written and well-researched, incredibly readable, and that’s really all I want from my true crime! 4.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker