Book Review: Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

Reviewing collections is so difficult, and my brain is literal mush right now, so I’ll make it easier by breaking it down story by story.

“A woman who would steal your love when your love was really all you had to give was not much of a woman.”
The Langoliers might possibly be my favourite in this collection. It grabbed my attention from the very beginning and didn’t let go! Flying is scary enough, but imagine waking up from your on-flight snooze to find the plane practically empty.... eerie stuff. 4 stars.

I have never watched the movie for Secret Window featuring Johnny Depp before so I went into the novella (Secret Window, Secret Garden) knowing absolutely nothing. Which was probably a huge reason why I did find it quite enjoyable. Although somewhat predictable, I enjoyed the themes and the general storyline around every author’s worst nightmare - accusation of plagiarism. 4 stars.

As for The Library Policeman... geez, that was hard-going. An entertaining story, but I can’t remember the last time I had to set aside a book because a scene was too graphic for me. I also got some intense Pennywise vibes with our featured creature! A stark reminder to everyone to return your library books!! 3.5 stars.

As always, it was good to visit Castle Rock in The Sun Dog. The story centres around a Polaroid camera that is producing some strange and alarming photos... And we get to spend some time with a member of the infamous Merrill family. However maybe this would have been more suited to a short story rather than a novella - it dragged on slightly, I thought. But loved the Lovecraft shoutouts with the mention of Arkham and Dunwich! 3.5 stars.

Overall, an entertaining collection! A welcome component is King introducing each story - I always love these. 3.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker