Book Review: The Phantom Prince by Elizabeth Kendall

They say love is blind and The Phantom Prince truly epitomises this. Kendall wrote this book back in 1981, and in the after note she revisits her relationship with Ted Bundy all these years later, and this was really the most interesting part of the book. She reflects on how naive she was and that she wishes she could just erase some parts she had previously written. I’m glad I read this edition, as otherwise I would have been left incredibly frustrated at how she just continued to keep contact with him, even after he had been accused of such vile crimes. And the fact he was clearly in contact with other women too... But hey, it’s hard to judge isn’t it?

“People have suggested that I have survivor’s guilt. I reject that. We all should be alive.”
There’s also a short section written by Molly Kendall, Elizabeth’s daughter, who also spent a lot of time around Bundy as she was growing up, and some of the memories she recalled are just... horrifying. The stuff of nightmares. I’d never heard these details before and they just left me feeling very icky.

That being said, it’s interesting to have a different perspective on Bundy. And it makes me extra paranoid (if that’s possible). He really did seem so charming and lovely, especially when they first got together - I laughed along at some of his jokes and pick-up lines, and then caught myself like...NO. It terrifies me how someone can so easily hide who they really are.

For those who are intrigued by true crime but like to steer clear of gory details, this would be right up your street, as the crimes themselves are not covered in any great detail.

Glad I finally got the chance to read this one! A must for any true crime fan, particularly if you are interested in Bundy’s ability to deceive those around him! 4 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker