Book Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Anne Elliot broke her engagement to Frederick Wentworth at the age of 19 following pressure from her family. Now 27, Anne’s father rents their family home to the Admiral and his wife (the sister of Wentworth), meaning that Wentworth now re-enters her life all these years later...

"Let us never underestimate the power of a well-written letter."

Persuasion is a really lovely book about second chances. It’s about overcoming obstacles through maturity, and how although people can change in some ways, they stay just the same in others.

Anne Elliot is such an enchanting protagonist, she’s quiet and demure, a sensitive soul, and is almost considered to be over the hill at the ripe old age of 27(!)-  how I’m glad times have changed!! LOL. Anne’s sisters, Elizabeth and Mary, were also great characters that seemingly always brought some drama or eye-rolling moments!

This is only my second Austen after having read Pride and Prejudice back in school, and I do really enjoy her social commentary on the topic of marriage in the early 1800s and how women pursued it as a means to gain economic stability as well as social standing. Sometimes I do struggle with the writing and I’m positive some parts simply go right over my head, but for the most part I have a good time.

Persuasion is quite romantic, although my complaint would be that we really don’t get to know a lot about Wentworth. I wish we could have seen why Anne had fallen in love with him in the first place, as this would have made me root for the couple more. But the letter (if you’ve read the book, you know the one I’m referring to!) is just so beautifully written and touching that you can’t help but be moved by it.

All in all, a heartwarming book about the persistence of true love. I’m glad Jen @bluestockingbookshelf pushed me to read it! 3.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker