Book Review: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankstein by Kiersten White

The story of an orphan, Elizabeth Lavenza, who is taken in by the Frankenstein family and forms a close relationship with Victor.

“I sought to puncture Heaven and instead discovered Hell.”

I’m gonna be honest here... I’ve never understood the point of retellings. Why would I want to read the retelling of a story that is already pretty damn good? It just always seemed kinda pointless to me. Well, I’m here to tell you I was WRONG. (I also feel like I should mention that another reason I stay away from retellings is because I don’t always know the original story and it would be lost on me anyways!)

But I thought this was so much fun!! I loved noticing the similarities between this and Frankenstein, as well as embracing the differences. If done well, a retelling is basically like reading an homage to a story you love! I have now seen the error of my ways and I am open to reading more retellings.

Another reason why I really loved this one - strong *clap* female *clap* characters! *clap*  And strong female friendships too! I hardcore loved Elizabeth and how manipulative and deceptive she could be (also got a lot of love for Mary and Justine), and I really enjoyed how the author wove Elizabeth and Victor’s stories together. Victor be fucked-up.

It wasn’t until I started reading this that I was told it was YA, and to be honest, if I hadn’t been told, I probably would never have categorised it as that - it’s so dark and creepy, and the writing is so exquisite at times, I really was incredibly impressed! I definitely recommend this one if you’re a fan of Frankenstein!

Thanks so much to the lovely @margaritathedrink for recommending this to me! It was a delight! 4.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker