Book Review: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

An unlikely friendship between two young boys told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years.



“And that’s the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.”

Oh, boy. This one really put me through the wringer. If I wasn’t wanting to batter Amir to death with said book because of his selfish childhood actions, I was sobbing crying on my knees shouting “Why, God? WHY?!” I feel like Hosseini was trying to personally destroy me with my feels.

Luckily, I read to feel my feels. Whether that’s excitement, or rage, or tension, or fear, or that moment when you actually feel a pain in your chest and you sincerely hope that your Red Bull addiction hasn’t come back to haunt you and that it’s just an emotional pain deep in your heart. So, yes, Hosseini, you may have broken me, but I loved every minute of it 

The characterisation is just another level here. Within merely 30 pages I just knew that Hassan was a young boy who must be protected at all costs because he has the most pure heart and soul, and I may or may not be welling up again just thinking about him... As for Amir... we got off to a rocky start *see earlier book battering* but you were only a child and I see that in hindsight.

I was worried I wouldn’t enjoy this as I am quite ignorant when it comes to politics in Afghanistan (or any politics, tbh) and I wasn’t sure if the book leaned heavily on this. Thankfully it did not, and any time politics did play a role, the narrator (Amir) explained it in a very accessible and easily digestible manner. Which I really do appreciate!

This book is powerful and moving, and I have no doubt it will stay with me forever. My #jobis30before30 challenge has been worth it for this book alone - now a forever favourite.

One of the nicest things about this challenge is that it allows me to recommend books to my mum (she ain’t about that horror life). I shall force this one upon her so that she too can read this beautiful story about friendship, family and redemption - AND FEEL ALL THE DAMN FEELS!

All the stars!

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker