Book Review: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Connell and Marianne grow up in the same small town in rural Ireland, but the similarities end there as they are from two very different worlds.

“Most people go through their whole lives, without ever really feeling that close with anyone.”

I’ve seriously been putting off writing this review because I just don’t know what to say!! I feel like I can’t put into words why I loved this book - I just did. As someone who went through very similar experiences to the characters, in terms of both school and university, I felt like I was reading about the intertwined lives of two of my close friends.

There is something incredibly beautiful in its simplicity. It’s about normal people, people who you feel like you may know, living relatively normal lives. And yet it’s written in a really impactful way. When I wasn’t reading the book, I was thinking about Marianne and Connell and wondering how they were getting on... are they okay?!! *weeps*

Without giving anything anyway, I have to come to like the ending after initially being annoyed by it. I feel like it is yet another reflection of how real life just is sometimes - we don’t always grow or progress or move past our issues. More often than not, life isn’t wrapped up in a neat little bow.

Normal People is one of those books that I LOVED and yet wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to everyone. If you like the sound of a book that covers topics like mental health, socioeconomic status, and the relationship dynamics between two people who are just destined to be in each other’s lives...then yes, pick this one up!

I’m so thrilled that I enjoyed this book so much and that I can really shout about, and support, an Irish author as talented as Rooney. 5 stars!

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker