Book Review: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy, yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different than he ever imagined.


“And, when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.”

Let me preface this review by saying that although I did not like this book, I totally appreciate the meaning behind the fable and the message being put forward here (well... part of it). It was just done so in the most tedious and boring way possible.

Even now, just typing the words “Personal Legend” makes me want to scratch out my eyeballs. Maybe that’s to do with the manner in which “legend” is used in present day... but I found it cringe-worthy. Throughout the entire novel you are just bludgeoned to death with the concept of your Personal Legend. I hate the notion that if you REALLY want something and you try hard enough that the universe will help guide you to your Personal Legend. I just don’t believe life works like that!

I am all about pursuing your dreams and not being afraid to do so. And that’s the message I can get behind - but the rest was just utter nonsense to me. Perhaps I am not spiritual enough to fully embrace The Alchemist. I was rolling my eyes so often that I almost detached my retinas...

I’m really trying to think of something positive to say - it was short? And there were some nice illustrations... but that’s all I got. I guess the writing wasn’t bad, it was more the story that I found very boring. I also found it to be quite preachy and condescending at times. And now I’m back to being negative... I TRIED!

If you are a big fan of this book (and I know there are many), I hope I don’t come across as mean or insulting. I’m truly happy that this book enlightened you in some way or that it resonated with you, but ultimately, it just wasn’t for me.

One and a half stars.

Johann
x

Comments

  1. Im disappointed to hear you had no 'reaction' to this story. I must admit it did Boron a bit.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker