Book Review: Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Purple Hibiscus is a story weighed down with oppression. The oppression of religion. An oppressive father. Oppressive heat. A country under an oppressive regime. But there is also the slightest hint of freedom.

“We did that often, asking each other questions whose answers we already knew.”
Fifteen-year-old Kambili and her older brother Jaja lead a privileged life in Enugu, Nigeria. But all is not as perfect as it seems in their household. As Nigeria begins to crumble under a military coup, Kambili and Jaja are sent to stay with their aunt and cousins, where laughter freely rings throughout the house.

This is my second Adichie novel and although I didn’t love it as much as Americanah, I was still enthralled and moved by this relatively straight forward story. It’s a beautifully touching coming-of-age story told from the perspective of Kambili.

Kambili’s father is a man with two very different sides to his personality. He does so much for his community, is looked upon with respect and admiration, but behind closed doors his family is subject to abuse. It was interesting to read about Kambili’s relationship with her father, the way in which she strived for his approval and the love that she had for him, regardless of how he treats her family. Such relationships can be complicated and Adichie explores it with the finesse that I would expect her to.

My hatred for Kambili’s father was only matched by my love for Aunty Ifeoma. She’s so vibrant and full of life. A truly charismatic presence in the novel. I just LOVED her. I also loved reading about Kambili’s growing infatuation with Father Amadi. Their interactions just felt so charged.

Adichie is quickly becoming a favourite author for me. She’s certainly on my auto-buy list. I’d recommend picking up Purple Hibiscus if you like books that have beautiful writing and explore family dynamics. 4.5 stars

Johann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker

50 States 50 Horror Books