Book Review: White Tears by Hari Kunzru

White Tears is the definition of a novel of two halves. There was maybe just a little TOO much going on here, leading to confusion and rereading paragraphs to ensure that you’ve followed exactly what is going on. I just don’t like having to work this hard when I’m reading.

“On your record deck, you played the sound of the middle passage, the blackest sound. You wanted the suffering you didn’t have, the authority you thought it would bring.”

 Seth and Carter are two twenty-something New Yorkers who are obsessed with music. During a trip to a local park, Seth accidentally records an unknown singer and Carter puts it on the internet claiming that it’s a long lost 1920s blues recording. An old collector reaches out to say that this bluesman, as well as their “fake record”, is actually real, leading to the two men spiralling down into America’s musical history.

Once again I randomly stumbled upon a book that ended up being incredibly relevant to what’s going on right now. White Tears challenges the dark legacy of the exploitation of Black culture, whilst simultaneously opening up discussion around white privilege. This book is imaginative and innovative, unlike anything I’ve read before, which is what I liked about it.

However, as mentioned above, it does feel like two books have been mashed together. The first half was very character-driven, as we learn about Seth and Carter and their music obsession, whereas the second half felt like an acid trip and at times I was utterly lost. Timelines merge and it’s hard to tell whether it’s the past - in the Jim Crow South - or the present day.

I feel like I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the story was told more in a coherent narrative, as I really appreciated the overall ideas and themes. It may have been difficult for me to follow, but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is intrigued by the premise! 2.5 stars.

Johann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker