Book Review: The Collector by John Fowles

Is there anything more frustrating for a bookworm than a book which starts out so strongly and with so much promise, and then simply goes a little flat in the second half?

“I think we are just insects, we live a bit and then die and that’s the lot. There’s no mercy in things. There’s not even a Great Beyond. There’s nothing.”

When a book is being lauded as some kind of bible for a number of murderers and serial killers, then of course it will attract my attention. The Collector follows a butterfly collector who diverts his obsession with collecting onto a beautiful stranger, an art student named Miranda.

I was so sure The Collector would become a new favourite, the premise is deliciously dark and disturbing, a man obsessed with a woman, intent on kidnapping her and making her fall in love with him. However, it’s not as dark as it COULD be, in my opinion. I felt like I just wanted it to go further... but I guess that’s the horror fan in me.

The first half is fantastic, as we are inside the mind of the collector, Frederick. I loved getting some insight into his thought processes, it’s interesting when you look at it from the perspective of a potential murderer/stalker. But then, halfway through, the narrative shifts to being from Miranda’s point of view, and this is when I felt the pace slowed waaaay down. It’s basically just a recap of the same events we just read about. But the ending is pretty strong, so you do finish on a high note!

All in all, really glad I read it. Incredibly well-written and crazy addictive for the most part. I’d certainly recommend! 3.5 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker