Book Review: A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult

A desperate and distraught gunman takes a women’s health centre hostage.

“Laws are black and white. The lives of women are a thousand shades of gray.”

This was the first pick for my book club in work and I must say, it was an excellent suggestion! Incredibly thought-provoking and uniquely written, A Spark of Light really leaves an impression.

It doesn’t need saying that abortion is a hot topic now - although it’s pretty much always relevant - so it was fitting to read this at a time when there is a lot of talk surrounding criminalisation of abortion. We all have our own thoughts and views, and so does Jodi Picoult, but at no point did I feel like she was preaching about her own view. Both sides of the argument are eloquently and rationally put forward, with a range of characters who have had different experiences.

The story is told in reverse- so we start close to the end of the hostage situation in the health centre, and Picoult works backwards hour by hour. I wasn’t a huge fan of this. It removed some of the tension and suspense, and it got confusing at times trying to recall how each character ended up. However, in terms of the execution of the big reveals and how storylines fitted together, it worked well! So I can perhaps see her reasoning for deciding to tell the story in this way.

I learnt a number of things I didn’t previously know about the abortion procedure. Having a medical background, I thought I pretty much knew it all, but it turns out that I didn’t! Picoult clearly did her research for this novel - speaking to loads of different professionals and people from both sides of the argument.

This is not necessarily a book about abortion. It’s about the fact that we all have our own opinions and stances on certain topics due to our differing backgrounds and experiences. And Picoult does what she always does and makes you consider both sides.

I found this to be an excellent conversation starter, I could talk about it until the cows come home, but mostly it reminded me why I have always been a fan of Picoult’s bold and thought-provoking stories. 4 stars.

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker