Book Review: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

Convicted murderer, Sirius Black, has broken out of Azkaban and is on the hunt for Harry Potter. Dementors are called into Hogwarts for protection purposes and Harry forms a close friendship with the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, as the threat of Sirius Black grows ever closer. Basically, there's lots happening.


"You think the dead we have loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?"

Okay, so I was pretty sure that Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite HP book in the series, and right now it's leading the charge! The ending of this book broke me and had me in tears. From this point forward I'm just gonna assume whoever is reading this has either read the HP books or has seen the movies - if not, what are you even doing here reading a review for the third book in a series, you psycho?? So there may be spoilers galore!!

When I think of PoA, I think of Sirius Black. Sirius is a character who gets a LOT of love on bookstagram, and I always kinda liked him but was never Sirius-obsessed. Well, now I'm concerned as to my emotional state for future events in the series as I am now HEAD OVER HEELS for Sirius. This won't end well. But I am ready to get hurt. (Isn't it weird how on rereads, when we know what's coming, it doesn't lessen the blow and hurt of heartbreaking events?). The reason why I was so bereft at the end of this was just the thought of Harry thinking that he finally had a "home" - not the living situation he has had with the Dursleys since the death of his parents, but an actual home - and then it quickly being snatched away again. So I was getting all upset over this until he gets his letter from Sirius and then... his permission slip to go to Hogsmeade and all of a sudden it was happy tears running down my face. HP hitting me with the feels!

I also always suffer from major feels when there's any reference to Harry's parents. Hearing Sirius or Remus tell Harry that he is like his father, or for Dumbledore to say that his father is always within him and that "Prongs rode again last night", there is no doubt that an emotional breakdown will ensue. I also get weirdly emotional when it comes to any woes that Hagrid must face (wtf is wrong with me), the entire Buckbeak storyline had me sad and anxious (again, even though I knew the outcome). A personal highlight of this book is when Harry and Ron have fallen out with Hermione and Hagrid feels like he needs to step in and mend bridges, telling them how hurt Hermione is by it all. Hagrid, you deserve all the good things in life <3

This book also had so many funny parts - the phone conversation between Ron and Mr Dursley at the beginning, watching Hermione struggling with all her subjects and losing her cool a number of times and so forth, Draco dressing up as dementor to scare Harry... Oh, and Hermione punching Malfoy in the face!! YASSS GIRL. Usually I don't condone violence, but Malfoy was being extra dickheady at that point. I also love the time travel aspect and the Marauder's map discovery - so much COOL stuff in this book.

Although I refuse to believe that Gryffindor won the House Championship for a third year in a row. MY ASS.

To be honest, I'm pretty gutted to come to the end of the illustrated editions, all 3 have been absolutely gorgeous. I think the best artwork has been in this one - for me personally - maybe because the series is starting to get slightly darker, and therefore so does the artwork. I can't wait for the release of the remaining books in the series! Dying to progress with my big HP reread, but taking a slight breather before diving into Goblet of Fire. 5 stars for this one!!

Johann
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker