Book Review: Locke & Key Volumes 5 & 6 by Joe Hill

The final parts of the Locke and Key series, I’m sad to say goodbye! Everything that has happened in the previous instalments, the functions of all the different keys… it’s all coming to a head in these final two segments: “Clockworks” and “Alpha and Omega”.



“Secrets are the prisons we make for ourselves.”

Guys… I gotta say. This entire series blew my winter socks off! And these two final instalments in particular were incredible. In “Clockworks” we go back in time to see what exactly happened all those years ago… and then in “Alpha and Omega” we get the final showdown – and it does NOT disappoint.


I have a lot of love for these characters, they have been so well-developed and they just feel so real and human. Kinsey has even grown on me, as I initially found her a bit irritating at the start. Tyler, however, has my heart. And Dodge was just so hateful and annoying... but I don't wanna say anymore for fear of potential spoilers. It's really hard to discuss the final part of a series as I don't want to discuss what I thought of certain events as I like to keep my reviews spoiler-free.



In the final part I was getting all sweaty and nervous as I flicked through each page; the stakes were high, no one was safe, I felt so stressed as I’ve grown attached to the Locke children, and even to their mother. But I can say that I’m very happy with the ending, I feel it was executed perfectly. It wasn't necessarily what I expected, but at the same time, I didn't know what to expect either! Just when I thought I knew what was going on and where it was all heading, Hill would throw me another curveball!



I never thought comic books or a graphic novel would get me all emotional and make me cry, but Locke and Key has proved me wrong. This is truly some of Hill’s best work in here – and when you combine that with the absolutely breathtaking illustrations that Rodriguez provides and this series is just another level. I implore you – if you think you are not a comic book person, or if you don’t know where to start…. READ LOCKE AND KEY. It’s been the best I’ve read. It’s been a fun ride and I’m sad to get off! But Hill has alluded to future stories connected to this world, sooooo that’s pretty darn exciting!



A fellow Locke & Key fan on instagram suggested I choose my favourite key explored in the series. I've gone for the Timeshift Key, I think it would be pretty awesome to be able to go back and revisit different time periods. You may not be able to change events, but just being able to observe would be enough for me!



Bye Locke & Key... *cries* but I will revisit some day I am sure, and I'm excited for the TV series!


Johann
x

Comments

  1. Awesome review!

    I’d read the first one, was impressed but then got distracted by other things.

    Thanks for the reminder to return to this series!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker