The Nocturnal Reader's Subscription Box: December

Well, happy Christmas to me... this box was awesome! This is the only instance in which I will allow anything bearing a ouija board on it into my house. I can be a bit...uneasy when it comes to potentially inviting demons into my house. I have enough issues. ANYWHO, enough of my deep-rooted issues with demonic possession, let's look at this month's box!



I'm really excited about this month's books! I already had my eye on Tales from a Talking Board after seeing it a couple of times on bookstagram, because, come on, that book was made to photograph! It's this month's new release and synopsis is as follows:

"Can we speak with the spirits of the dead? Is it possible to know the future? Are our dreams harbingers of things to come? Do auspicious omens and cautionary portents affect our lives? Edited by Ross E. Lockhart, Tales from a Talking Board examines these questions - and more - with tales of auguries, divination, and fortune telling, through devices like Ouija boards, tarot cards, and stranger things."

Basically, this book is right up my street! As a lover of all things paranormal, I can't wait to get stuck in. The second book in the box, the previous release, is Vermillion by Molly Tanzer. Synopsis is as follows:

"Gunslinging, chain smoking, Stetson-wearing Taoist psychopomp, Elouise "Lou" Merriwether might not be normal 19-year-old, but she's too busy keeping San Francisco safe from ghosts, shades, and geung si to care much about that. It's an important job, though most folks consider it downright spooky. Some have even accused Lou of being more comfortable with the dead than the living, and, well... they're not wrong. When Lou hears that a bunch of Chinatown boys have gone missing somewhere deep in the Colorado Rockies she decides to saddle up and head into the wilderness to investigate. Lou fears her particular talents make her better suited to help placate their spirits than ensure they get home alive, but it's the right thing to do, and she's the only one willing to do it. On the road to a mysterious sanatorium known as Fountain of Youth, Lou will encounter bears, desperate men, a very undead villain, and even stranger challenges. Lou will need every one of her talents and a whole lot of luck to make it home alive."

I've never heard of this book before, to be honest, but it sounds good! And the cover is really striking! So we got two really photogenic books this month that ALSO sound like they've good content as well - winning. 



On my instagram I talk about NOS4A2 by Joe Hill a lot! It is one of the best books I've ever read and I always recommend to people who are looking for horror suggestions. So imagine my excitement when I saw that we got an awesome Christmasland tee! But I would expect nothing less when the guys at NRB collaborated with Mike over at Nameless City Apparel. 


The artwork this month is pretty creepy - it's influenced by a scene from Bird Box by Josh Malerman (a book I have yet to read but it's on my never-ending TBR pile). We also got yet another awesome mug designed and made by Exhumed Visions with a play on the iconic line from Jaws - "You're gonna need a bigger mug". I showed this mug to my brother and he said, "You're gonna need a bigger cupboard". He's right, my mug collection is outta control but you can never have enough, right? RIGHT? Also included in this month's box was a cool can holder inspired by Bentley Little's The Store, as well as a Shining Overlook Hotel carpet pattern roll of Washi tape!



Lastly - my favourite part of each month's box, THE PIN. And this month's pin was not a disappointment. It's a Ouija planchette featuring everyone's favourite demon, Pazuzu aka Captain Howdy, from The Exorcist. I think I have a new fave pin, guys!!



Now the impatient wait for January's box begins... January is Edgar Allan Poe's birthday month so we're being treated to not one, but TWO Poe items. There's still boxes left, so get them ordered if you haven't already. Use my code DRJOBIS15 to save 15%!

Johann
x

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker