Book Review: My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade, but things change when they start high school. After getting lost and spending a night in the woods, Gretchen becomes slightly... different. Abby knows that something is wrong, coming to the conclusion that her best friend must be possessed. Nothing will stand in her way as Abby tries to save her friend from the devil, but will their friendship be strong enough to overcome such forces of evil?



"She and Gretchen spent hours ranking their friendships, trying to determine who was a best friend and who was an everyday friend, debating whether anyone could have two best friends at the same time."

When I started this book, I honestly didn't know what to expect. A throwback to the 80s? A horror spoof? A young adult book disguised as horror? Thankfully, it was a pleasant surprise. Yes, it feels spoofy at times and has its own sense of humour, but overall it's a really wonderfully touching book. I signed up for an exorcism, but what I really got and loved most about this book was the friendship between Gretchen and Abby. Not only do you get nostalgic for the 80s (an era that I didn't live in - 1989 baby here - and yet I still feel nostalgic for - explain that!), but mostly I felt nostalgic for those childhood friendships you form. There's really nothing like it. They're so pure and honest and you honestly feel like you're gonna be best friends forever.

The usual themes and tropes of possession stories are all accounted for and present in this book, but I still feel like Hendrix brings something different and unique to the story. It's a demon possession story, but with heart. I loved that each chapter was named after a song from the 80s, I loved all the cultural references, I loved that Gretchen went through a stage of crimping her hair... we've all been there, even growing up in the 90s - I've been there. There isn't much in terms of horror - some parts are squeamish and unsettling, but it's not going to keep you up at night. But that's not the point of this book.

It's a fun read ultimately, but also really sweet. It's heartwarming to see the lengths that Abby will go to in order to save her best friend - she's admirable, courageous, brave, resilient. And I cried at the end. I was not expecting tears, but they came anyway! Throughout the entirety of this book, I was thinking to myself "Yeah, this is a solid 4 stars" but that ending... I gotta give the book 4.5 stars out of 5. I loved this one, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, quick read with a lot of heart (and demonic possession)!

Johann
x

Comments

  1. This looks like something I would have enjoyed alongside the Fear Street books lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book in the store and almost took it but then decided to wait for somebody's review and here you are ))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Books You Must Read!

50 States 50 Horror Books

Book Review: Books of Blood Vol 1-3 by Clive Barker